Skip to main content

Multidal Quinoa Brownrice Spinach khichdi - Indo-western one pot dish

So the name says it all, what a wholesome combination of proteins, iron and complex carbs right? Adding to it the spices which takes away your fat and a bunch of shallots, garlic pods, tomatoes.
Today I was in lazy cooking mood, but I wanted to eat home cook food for this weekend coz last 2 weekends was outside food and the scale showed it. Also if I eat fruits and veggies alone I will spoil myself on more calories in evening, which again impacts my weight loss goals, even if healthy stuffs.
Ok, so on a lazy day what you can cook, which gives you all nutrition, but easy one. Yeah, you know it, one pot dish. Grab everything, soak it and Cooker, The savior of lazy days of course. So I soaked my brown rice and quinoa together, and my 4 types of dal separately, chopped up my spinach, white onions, tomatoes, shallots and garlic, and yeah I have to just put them all together and cook them well. I had a very satisfying and sumptuous meal I felt ☺️☺️
When I explain these recipes to my Mom, she asks me, "was it tasty?". Then I say, "Yeah! Don't know I love everything I cook now a days :P" Then she says, " Yes, you want healthy only now, guess your taste buds are no more responding, its just your fitness crazy brain"..Lol sometimes, looks to be right. But this one is worth to give a try; it was indeed tasty and contenting :)

Ingredients

Brown rice - 2 tbsp
Quinoa - 1 tbsp heaped
Toor dal - 2 tbsp
Masoor dal - 2 tbsp
Urad dal - 1 tbsp
Moong dal split - 1 1/2 tbsp
To sauté
Kachi ghani oil - 1 tbsp (mustard oil)
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Fennel seeds - 1/4 tsp
Yellow mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Garlic - 8 pods
Shallots - 8 pods
White onion chopped - 1 small
Spinach , roughly chopped - 2 cups
Tomato diced - 1 big
Hing - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Green chilles chopped - 3
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Lemon Juice of 1 small once it's done.

Method:

Soak cereals for 30 mins before cooking. This helps in easy cooking.
In pressure cooker , add oil and sputter mustard , cumin and fennel seeds. Saute the rest of ingredients and then add powders and cook for a minute. Cook till spinach is wilted. Now add soaked cereals and 1 cup of water. Cook for 2 mins. Close the lid of pressure cooker and cook in medium high until 3 whistles and then slow cook in low heat without whistles for 10 to 15 mins. Once pressure is gone, open the lid and squeeze in a lemon. Garnish with coriander leaves, and its optional as we already have a spinach.
Serve hot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oats chocolate chip cookies with peanuts

This is the the richest cookie I have ever made.  It is loaded with all that i love, peanuts and chocolate in whatever form it can exist. When it was baking in the oven my little cat was making a visit to the oven multiple times to check it's done. And the first bite right from oven almost burnt his mouth 😁 The outcome was so rewarding for the eyes and the taste buds. I dont think anyone can go wrong with this recipe.  So diving into the recipe, without more story telling.  Ingredients: All purpose flour/Whole wheat flour - 1 cup Oats flakes - rolled oats - 1/4 cup Cocoa powder - 1/4 cup Butter-1/4 cup Sugar brown - 1/2 cup packed Salt -1/4 tsp Baking powder- 1 tsp Egg - 1  Vanilla essence - 1 tsp Milk - 1 to 2 tbsp or to make a cookie dough  Method: Whisk together dry ingredients and keep aside  Whip butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla essence and mix. Add dry ingredients and mix gently until well combined....

Inji curry - Ginger curry pickle

Inji curry is one among the dish in any Kerala Sadya spread and it is called with a name " nooru kootan" in malayalam to give the impression of impact of this dish. It means equivalent to 100 curries. You can see this man in every sadya holding the first place in the plantain leaf and is served first in the leaf based on some belief I guess. I m a big fan of Kerala sadya, of course a foodie like me loves every food and how can I miss our own Sadya, which is supposed to be the biggest spread in terms of number of side dishes and rounds it carries. A few things to make you understand about the rounds of sadya; I m from the south part of Kerala, Trivandrum which is the most famous place for veggie sadya in plantain leaf. The Sadya here consists of at least 20 side dishes in on side of leaf with Pappad, chips, fried chilly, and one side is reserved for the rounds of rice. First round of rice starts with moong dal curry and ghee. Yet another specialty of Trivandrum is this ...

Introducing me, as a food blogger!

Hello ... I am taking this opportunity to introduce myself as a food blogger. I am not new to this place; most of my friends know me as a random blogger and I am pretty much active here. This time, I am starting on a blog focussed on food. I am a passionate cook who loves to experiment a lot in food, and I appreciate and embrace almost all cuisines world wide. I am already representing a food site with my tested recipes in Facebook, but because there is no option to search for my recipes, I am sharing it here. I want all my readers to have easy access and my recipes handy 😊 As you can see, I am passionate about many things other than cooking, but cooking is something which always gives me pleasure. Cooking is my stress reliever, as one of my friend used to advice me, "Go bake a cake, you will be Alright"! I am not yet sure to call myself as a food blogger, as I think there are ton of things yet to be learned and experienced as a cook and each day is a new learning...