Skip to main content

Kadi pakoda

This Punjabi dish was part of my tiffin box for a Monday lunch and actually was the first time I am trying Kadi. Every time I make a North Indian dish, I am a bit nervous because I don't have even the experience of tasting of those traditional ones and the judges having their acquired tastes on these dishes, I have to be very careful.
Anyway my first trial wasn't disappointing. The crew liked it, with one feedback, that it is little different than the authentic Punjabi kadi, but as you know kadi is made in all parts of India with a difference based of each place's spices. Even Kerala has a similar version, our own Mooru curry or Pulisery resembles the Kadi in most of the things.

So the kadi I prepared was with pakoras, which is made from palak. What else we need right, on a rainy day than hot chai and pakora. Palak is yet another favorite of mine, you know because it is healthy, low calorie food and I make lot of sabzis with it , also chop, puree it and add to my rotis. So right to the recipe now.

Ingredients:

Kadi
Besan - 2 tbsp
Curd - 1 cup
Sliced onion - medium
Ginger - 1 inch chopped
Garlic - 5 pods chopped
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder- 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Water - 3 cups

Initial seasoning
Oil for seasoning
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
Hing - 1/4 tsp
Red chilly - 2 -3 broken

Pakoda
Spinach chopped - 1 cup
Besan - 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds - 1/4 tsp
Water to make a thick batter
Oil for frying pakoda

Seasoning
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp crushed
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp

Method:

Combine all ingredients of kadi except water and mix until curd and besan has no lumps. Then add water and mix well.

Pour oil and saute the items for initial seasonings. Now pour the kadi water mix and cook. First 5 mins in medium high and then reduce to low heat and cook covered for 30 mins. This step is so important that it brings the taste of besan and curd getting well cooked together.

In a bowl mix together ingredients for pakoda except oil.
In another pan, pour enough oil for deep frying the pakoda. Once oil is hot enough, dip small portions of pakoda batter to it. Reduce heat and cook till golden brown. Drain to paper towels and keep aside until kadi is ready.

Once kadi is cooked well, add the pakodas. Make sure Pakodas are added at the time of serving, otherwise can go soggy.
Next step is final seasoning with desi ghee, which is another important step in kadi making. When Ghee is hot add coriander seeds, cumin seeds and chilly powder to it and switch off the flame. Pour over hot kadi, and serve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Egg biryani

Biriyani - The most rated and loved dish in India. Be it north or south, biriyani fan club chain is impossible to break. Now I am going to expose one secret about me and Biriyani. I know once I reveal, there would be a lot of haters for me, but this is just my personal opinion and I am all in support for all its supporters. So the thing is growing up, the name of biriyani was like a hype which hit me, and I remember craving for biriyani back then. I used to think, oh man; who discovered this wonderful dish. But lately, I think I lost the love for biriyani, not only biriyani but sort of all Arabic food. I am not a big fan of arabic cuisine, even though the foodie in me can eat any food and respect and appreciate every cuisine; for some reason the ingredients of Arabic cuisine is not going well with my taste palette as well as tummy. But I m a big supporter of food lovers, and having the core fans of Arabic food at home, I have to prepare, but I love preparing as well. Coz for me what

Grilled Chicken in Quinoa Tortilla wrap

Healthy meal preparation is so satisfying, as we know we are feeding our loved ones with clean food. When I say clean food it does mean, non processed, with balanced nutrients, and not in expense of the taste. These healthy tortilla wraps are so yummy that you will not even imagine it has so many hidden good stuffs in it. I am like my mom, she is too smart to hide the good stuffs in whatever she prepares and we will not even know what we just ate had something which we hate if given in its form. Now I have acquired that smartness too and just few days back I prepared an Avocado Mango smoothie for one of my colleague and she told, "I hate Avocados! My mom would be surprised if she comes to know that I had Avocado. But how yummy your smoothie is ! " I was glad that I could make someone eat a healthy thing which they hated ever, and my hiding skills worked out.  The same lady was fooled by my papaya halwa, she is a papaya hater too :P Fooling people is good som

Oats chocolate chip cookies with peanuts

This is the the richest cookie I have ever made.  It is loaded with all that i love, peanuts and chocolate in whatever form it can exist. When it was baking in the oven my little cat was making a visit to the oven multiple times to check it's done. And the first bite right from oven almost burnt his mouth 😁 The outcome was so rewarding for the eyes and the taste buds. I dont think anyone can go wrong with this recipe.  So diving into the recipe, without more story telling.  Ingredients: All purpose flour/Whole wheat flour - 1 cup Oats flakes - rolled oats - 1/4 cup Cocoa powder - 1/4 cup Butter-1/4 cup Sugar brown - 1/2 cup packed Salt -1/4 tsp Baking powder- 1 tsp Egg - 1  Vanilla essence - 1 tsp Milk - 1 to 2 tbsp or to make a cookie dough  Method: Whisk together dry ingredients and keep aside  Whip butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla essence and mix. Add dry ingredients and mix gently until well combined. Add milk one tablespoon each