Skip to main content

Spicy Prawns Biriyani

Biriyani, of course the most loved one pot dish of India, and this biriyani is most loved at my home, which has the authentic Malabar biriyani flavor and aroma. Although this is taken from Malabar biriyani concept, I have made some customization to suit to my family's taste. If it is a biriyani day, I am relieved from many of my duties making other side dishes and especially the waiting time in my table to get people for lunch. These days, I don't even have to call my boys for lunch, as the participation would be so proactive, starting from preparation, which in normal days are like waiting for them in the table for half an hour and then the last option to get them to table is raising my voice :P

This biriyani is famous among my friends circle too, and has a name too; The 28 ingredient dish. Basically all biriyanis would have all these ingredients, but when I listed the ingredients for the first time, they seem to be overwhelmed by that. Apart from the time taken to gather the ingredients and setting up, the preparation time is quite less and also as it is a one pot dish, you don't have to worry much about cleaning up session.
So the base of any of my biriyani recipes would be the same for chicken, mutton, fish or veggie, and I find it so easy and a show winner one pot dish. I usually accompany this with a simple raita, pickle and papad. Some days if I feel like going a little overboard, I will have some kerala spice chicken fry as side dish.

My Gauthu loves this version a lot, as this has his favorite prawns and he loves to cook biriyani with me. He will take his place in the side of kitchen counter and takes the role of co-chef helping me with ingredients and with stirring in between. Of course I love this sweet co chef of mine, as he is so obedient at kitchen, taking my instructions and always make sure my temper is in control :D All these done on the promise that first bowl is served to him ;) 

Added note from him: "before taking photos". So now a days I make sure that he is well fed before I have my food photo shoot session :D It doesn't seem to be fair to make wait a drooling boy counting the minutes on when this would be over and I can have some :P
So over to my recipe. 

Ingredients:

Daawat basmati rice -1 1/4 cups
Prawns - 1/2 kg , cleaned 
Onion sliced - 4 nos
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Tomatoes - 2 nos
Thick curd - 1/2 cup
Green chillies, crushed - 8 nos
Coconut oil - 3 tbsp
Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
Mint leaves - 2 sprigs
Coriander leaves chopped - 1/2 cup

Spices:
Dry bay leaf - 1
Cinnamon - 2 inch stick
Cardamom - 5 pods
Cloves - 5 pods
Pepper pods - 4
Star anise - 2 nos

Powders:
Nutmeg powder - 1/2 tsp
Crushed pepper - 1 tsp
Chilly powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste

Assembly:
Milk - 1/4 cup
Rose water - 2 -3 tbsp
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
Mint leaves - 2 sprigs
Coriander leaves chopped - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 3 tbsp

Method:

Cook rice to 70 % done and keep aside.

Pour oil in a pressure cooker and fry raw spices. Sauté the onions till golden brown. Add all leaves, tomatoes, green chillies and the powders. Add the cleaned prawns, ginger garlic paste and cook for 5 mins. Now add curd and cook for a min. Add the semi cooked rice in top layer and pour in items for assembly. Close the lid of pressure cooker and cook for sometime. You can cook with whistle on and cook till 1 whistle.

Give it a stir and serve with raita, papadam and salad.

Note: Assembly can be done in other way when rice and masala is cooked separately and each layer the ingredients in Assembly would be added, an finally kept for dum. 
Dum, as many of you know is the way to give constant medium heat using a heavy bottomed pan and charcoal or a iron griddle in which the biriyani pot would rest. The pot is tightly sealed for entire dum time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Egg biryani

Biriyani - The most rated and loved dish in India. Be it north or south, biriyani fan club chain is impossible to break. Now I am going to expose one secret about me and Biriyani. I know once I reveal, there would be a lot of haters for me, but this is just my personal opinion and I am all in support for all its supporters. So the thing is growing up, the name of biriyani was like a hype which hit me, and I remember craving for biriyani back then. I used to think, oh man; who discovered this wonderful dish. But lately, I think I lost the love for biriyani, not only biriyani but sort of all Arabic food. I am not a big fan of arabic cuisine, even though the foodie in me can eat any food and respect and appreciate every cuisine; for some reason the ingredients of Arabic cuisine is not going well with my taste palette as well as tummy. But I m a big supporter of food lovers, and having the core fans of Arabic food at home, I have to prepare, but I love preparing as well. Coz for me what

Grilled Chicken in Quinoa Tortilla wrap

Healthy meal preparation is so satisfying, as we know we are feeding our loved ones with clean food. When I say clean food it does mean, non processed, with balanced nutrients, and not in expense of the taste. These healthy tortilla wraps are so yummy that you will not even imagine it has so many hidden good stuffs in it. I am like my mom, she is too smart to hide the good stuffs in whatever she prepares and we will not even know what we just ate had something which we hate if given in its form. Now I have acquired that smartness too and just few days back I prepared an Avocado Mango smoothie for one of my colleague and she told, "I hate Avocados! My mom would be surprised if she comes to know that I had Avocado. But how yummy your smoothie is ! " I was glad that I could make someone eat a healthy thing which they hated ever, and my hiding skills worked out.  The same lady was fooled by my papaya halwa, she is a papaya hater too :P Fooling people is good som

Oats chocolate chip cookies with peanuts

This is the the richest cookie I have ever made.  It is loaded with all that i love, peanuts and chocolate in whatever form it can exist. When it was baking in the oven my little cat was making a visit to the oven multiple times to check it's done. And the first bite right from oven almost burnt his mouth 😁 The outcome was so rewarding for the eyes and the taste buds. I dont think anyone can go wrong with this recipe.  So diving into the recipe, without more story telling.  Ingredients: All purpose flour/Whole wheat flour - 1 cup Oats flakes - rolled oats - 1/4 cup Cocoa powder - 1/4 cup Butter-1/4 cup Sugar brown - 1/2 cup packed Salt -1/4 tsp Baking powder- 1 tsp Egg - 1  Vanilla essence - 1 tsp Milk - 1 to 2 tbsp or to make a cookie dough  Method: Whisk together dry ingredients and keep aside  Whip butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla essence and mix. Add dry ingredients and mix gently until well combined. Add milk one tablespoon each