Skip to main content

Thaaravu Ishtew - Duck Stew

My husband says I make the best chicken stew and stew is one of my masterpieces. I can agree to it to some extend and I think I have practiced it many times and became proficient on it. I was trying veggie and chicken stew all these while and it was never a failure. In fact, stew is such an easy recipe that it can never go wrong with anyone.

The stew I am talking about here is different from the English recipes, as this is the specialty of our traditional Kerala. That is one reason I wrote it in Malayalam, to get that God's own country feeling, where stew is called ishtew in Malayalam. So about the difference from English stew recipes, this is again a dish with extravaganza of Coconut milk, the soupy gravy just smells coconut all over and all you can say is just Wow!

Everyone at home loves this recipe and is the best side dish for Appams, Idiyappams and even our red matta rice. I think Matta Rice is something, only Malayalees can eat :D and for us only this can make us feel like we had rice :)

This time for a difference I made Duck stew, one reason Duck is my favorite bird :P and red meat being a No No for me, Duck will resemble somewhat like a cooked red meat, and I will get the mocking satisfaction of eating a red meat. lol. Usually in my chicken stew I used to put some turmeric, which is omitted in duck stew, so this clears having all the criteria for stew being qualified.

My Christmas brunch was awesome, indulging into this coconut soup and my home made wheat breads was best company for her. I had this with the Appams my Mom made too, and you know, you cannot say No to either. One of the reasons I put on pounds when I am back from home :O
Ingredients:

Duck, curry cut, cleaned - 1 1/2 kg
Onions . diced - 3 nos
Potatoes, boiled- 3 nos (you can cook this with duck too)
Green chillies, slit - 7 nos
Ginger crushed - 2 inch piece
Garlic pods - 7 to 8
Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
Salt to taste
Pepper powder - 1 tsp
Coconut oil - 2 tbsp
Raw Spices - Cardamom, Cloves, Star Anise, Cinnamon - 1 piece each
Coconut milk , thin - 2 cups
Coconut milk, thick - 1 cup

Method:

Cook duck with 1 cup water, ginger, garlic salt and pepper a bit, in pressure cooker for 2 whistles. Duck takes more time than chicken to get cooked, so pressure cooking is recommended.

Boil potatoes separately or cut and cook it with duck.

Pour oil and saute the raw spices in it for a min. Now add curry leaves, onions and saute till translucent. Add the cooked duck and potatoes. Add to it thin milk, salt and pepper and cook till gravy reduces to 3/4th. Now add green chillies and remaining curry leaves and cook for 2 minutes. Now add thick coconut milk and cook till frothy. Do not boil as coconut oil can separate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Egg biryani

Biriyani - The most rated and loved dish in India. Be it north or south, biriyani fan club chain is impossible to break. Now I am going to expose one secret about me and Biriyani. I know once I reveal, there would be a lot of haters for me, but this is just my personal opinion and I am all in support for all its supporters. So the thing is growing up, the name of biriyani was like a hype which hit me, and I remember craving for biriyani back then. I used to think, oh man; who discovered this wonderful dish. But lately, I think I lost the love for biriyani, not only biriyani but sort of all Arabic food. I am not a big fan of arabic cuisine, even though the foodie in me can eat any food and respect and appreciate every cuisine; for some reason the ingredients of Arabic cuisine is not going well with my taste palette as well as tummy. But I m a big supporter of food lovers, and having the core fans of Arabic food at home, I have to prepare, but I love preparing as well. Coz for me what

Grilled Chicken in Quinoa Tortilla wrap

Healthy meal preparation is so satisfying, as we know we are feeding our loved ones with clean food. When I say clean food it does mean, non processed, with balanced nutrients, and not in expense of the taste. These healthy tortilla wraps are so yummy that you will not even imagine it has so many hidden good stuffs in it. I am like my mom, she is too smart to hide the good stuffs in whatever she prepares and we will not even know what we just ate had something which we hate if given in its form. Now I have acquired that smartness too and just few days back I prepared an Avocado Mango smoothie for one of my colleague and she told, "I hate Avocados! My mom would be surprised if she comes to know that I had Avocado. But how yummy your smoothie is ! " I was glad that I could make someone eat a healthy thing which they hated ever, and my hiding skills worked out.  The same lady was fooled by my papaya halwa, she is a papaya hater too :P Fooling people is good som

Oats chocolate chip cookies with peanuts

This is the the richest cookie I have ever made.  It is loaded with all that i love, peanuts and chocolate in whatever form it can exist. When it was baking in the oven my little cat was making a visit to the oven multiple times to check it's done. And the first bite right from oven almost burnt his mouth 😁 The outcome was so rewarding for the eyes and the taste buds. I dont think anyone can go wrong with this recipe.  So diving into the recipe, without more story telling.  Ingredients: All purpose flour/Whole wheat flour - 1 cup Oats flakes - rolled oats - 1/4 cup Cocoa powder - 1/4 cup Butter-1/4 cup Sugar brown - 1/2 cup packed Salt -1/4 tsp Baking powder- 1 tsp Egg - 1  Vanilla essence - 1 tsp Milk - 1 to 2 tbsp or to make a cookie dough  Method: Whisk together dry ingredients and keep aside  Whip butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla essence and mix. Add dry ingredients and mix gently until well combined. Add milk one tablespoon each