Skip to main content

Chicken Fajita -Mexican Chicken Stir fry

This was on my Mexican themed spread day, I prepared Fajita which is a very easy and always a party hit dish. This can be a finger food, as stuffings inside breads, or even as side dish for the main course. As any other Mexican dish, this is on the high side of spiciness and should have a flaming symbol on the plate. I have seen Mexican foods being loved in India because of this spicy factor, as we Indians can't eat Bland food, lol  (no offense intended). Jokes apart, I love every cuisine, as even it is different from ours, every single cuisine has its authentic value and taste, that once you get into the soul of each food, you will see the beauty of them.
The base spices are very simple and common in all dishes, it is just the addons vary per dish in their cuisine. According my food ethics, you should maintain the base recipe as is if you are preparing an authentic food of a particular cuisine. Something like, you should not prepare chicken with Chinese sauces and call it Fajita or anything of that sort. One addition to the base recipe I made this time for all dishes of the day was crushed Coriander. I know, that confused face, "what coriander seeds have to do on a Mexican dish". But as I said, it was an addon by me and I can assure you it came out so well with the half crushed seeds adding the subtle coriander flavor.
Fajita, as in Mexico "J" is silent, is pronounced as Fahita, and this is basically a shallow fried chicken sauteed with veggies. It has the spicy sour base, which will make you go over and over for it and licking your fingers. Its unique blend of veggies along with chicken makes it so filling, healthy option and the crisp veggies between the chicken pieces is an awesome feeling to munch over. My hosts for the day were so pleased to see the dish, that the response was again overwhelming "Swathy, what are you doing in IT, Why can't you open up a kitchen". What better feedback a passionate cook would look for. Oh yeah, my friends use to ask this often, then I will respond saying " The day has yet to come". Hopeful about that day, here it goes the recipe for Fajita.

Ingredients:
To fry:
Chicken breasts, sliced - 2 cups (600 gms)
Cumin powder - 2 tsp
Chilly powder - 2 tsp
Pepper - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander corns crushed - 1 tsp
Chilly flakes - 1 tsp
Green chillies - 3 nos
Parsley - 1/4 cup
Yogurt - 2 tbsp
Olive oil - 3 tbsp
Sesame oil - 1 tbsp

To saute:
Sliced white onions- 2 small
Green bell pepper, sliced  - 1/2
Red bell pepper, sliced - 1/2
Yellow bell pepper, sliced /- 1/2
Spring onions, cut lengthwise - 1/2 cup

Method:
Mix chicken with all powders. Grind parsley and green chillies to a fine paste and mix with chicken. Add yogurt, chilly flakes and crushed coriander corns and mix well until pieces are coated well.
Pour oil in pan and sauté the chicken for 2 mins. Now cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring in between.
Remove chicken from oil and put the veggies in it. Saute this in high heat to maintain crispiness. Now add the chicken back and mix well.


  Serve hot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oats chocolate chip cookies with peanuts

This is the the richest cookie I have ever made.  It is loaded with all that i love, peanuts and chocolate in whatever form it can exist. When it was baking in the oven my little cat was making a visit to the oven multiple times to check it's done. And the first bite right from oven almost burnt his mouth 😁 The outcome was so rewarding for the eyes and the taste buds. I dont think anyone can go wrong with this recipe.  So diving into the recipe, without more story telling.  Ingredients: All purpose flour/Whole wheat flour - 1 cup Oats flakes - rolled oats - 1/4 cup Cocoa powder - 1/4 cup Butter-1/4 cup Sugar brown - 1/2 cup packed Salt -1/4 tsp Baking powder- 1 tsp Egg - 1  Vanilla essence - 1 tsp Milk - 1 to 2 tbsp or to make a cookie dough  Method: Whisk together dry ingredients and keep aside  Whip butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla essence and mix. Add dry ingredients and mix gently until well combined....

Inji curry - Ginger curry pickle

Inji curry is one among the dish in any Kerala Sadya spread and it is called with a name " nooru kootan" in malayalam to give the impression of impact of this dish. It means equivalent to 100 curries. You can see this man in every sadya holding the first place in the plantain leaf and is served first in the leaf based on some belief I guess. I m a big fan of Kerala sadya, of course a foodie like me loves every food and how can I miss our own Sadya, which is supposed to be the biggest spread in terms of number of side dishes and rounds it carries. A few things to make you understand about the rounds of sadya; I m from the south part of Kerala, Trivandrum which is the most famous place for veggie sadya in plantain leaf. The Sadya here consists of at least 20 side dishes in on side of leaf with Pappad, chips, fried chilly, and one side is reserved for the rounds of rice. First round of rice starts with moong dal curry and ghee. Yet another specialty of Trivandrum is this ...

Introducing me, as a food blogger!

Hello ... I am taking this opportunity to introduce myself as a food blogger. I am not new to this place; most of my friends know me as a random blogger and I am pretty much active here. This time, I am starting on a blog focussed on food. I am a passionate cook who loves to experiment a lot in food, and I appreciate and embrace almost all cuisines world wide. I am already representing a food site with my tested recipes in Facebook, but because there is no option to search for my recipes, I am sharing it here. I want all my readers to have easy access and my recipes handy 😊 As you can see, I am passionate about many things other than cooking, but cooking is something which always gives me pleasure. Cooking is my stress reliever, as one of my friend used to advice me, "Go bake a cake, you will be Alright"! I am not yet sure to call myself as a food blogger, as I think there are ton of things yet to be learned and experienced as a cook and each day is a new learning...