Skip to main content

Fruit cake

This fruit cake was baked for taking to Gauthappan's school as Christmas, New year gift cake, which is been like a tradition for past 4 years now.  So this time of the year he will ask for the special cake for his friends and teachers, the reason being he would be seen privileged that day at school ;)
This time I thought to bake a healthy fruity cake for the kids, which tastes like heaven, fluffy and; when I say healthy I mean it. It is an extravaganza of all rich nuts and dry fruits, that I had trouble cutting the pieces :D With good quality butter, eggs, fresh cream which was my experiment, by the way :D Adding to it is home grown passion fruit juice, as replacement to liquor, as it is for kids. Passion fruit has never ditched my experimentation. Everything cooked and baked out of my terrace farm passion fruit turned out awesome in past too.
When I was planning for this cake in my mind I never thought it would turn out so good. Anyway the little boy tasted it first in the morning, his breakfast bite, and was counting and arranging the pieces that he wants to take to school.  
And there was a long piece awaiting to get cut, and from behind someone snatched it is what I could remember. Yes, my big boy. It was so fun watching them fight for the last piece and even though I couldn't fetch a whole piece for myself, nothing can be so satisfying to see the food being enjoyed by my boys. And since it happened the last day of my vacation in Kerala, I was a little upset thinking that, I am gonna miss all these fun in a few hours!
Here it goes the recipe.

Ingredients:
All purpose flour - 1 1/2 cup         
Corn flour - 1/4 cup + 2 tbsps for coating fruits
Baking powder - 2 tsp
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Fresh cream - 1/4 cup
Eggs - 2 nos
Butter - 3/4 cup
White sugar - 1 cup
Vanilla extract - 1 1/2 tsp
Dry fruits and tutti fruiti - 3/4 cup

Home made apricot preserve - 2 tbsp (recipe will be added soon)
Passion fruit juice - 1/4 cup
Water - 2 to 3 tbsps

Method:
Sift together all dry ingredients and keep aside.
Chop the dry fruits and mix with passion fruit juice.
In a bowl cream together butter and sugar. Add vanilla extract and eggs one by one and beat well until smooth and frothy. Add fresh cream and apricot preserve to this and beat well. Now add dry ingredients and mix well, with strained passion fruit juice used for soaking dry fruits. Add water to loosen the batter a bit if it is too thick to pour.
Coat the dry fruits with corn flour. Gently fold in this to batter.
Preheat oven at 180 C for 10 mins and bake at 180 C for 35 minutes. Cool in wire rack completely before cutting.
Be careful while cutting as it has lots of fruits. Use a sharp knife to cut, coz you can see mine doesn't have perfect edges because of not using a sharp knife.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Egg biryani

Biriyani - The most rated and loved dish in India. Be it north or south, biriyani fan club chain is impossible to break. Now I am going to expose one secret about me and Biriyani. I know once I reveal, there would be a lot of haters for me, but this is just my personal opinion and I am all in support for all its supporters. So the thing is growing up, the name of biriyani was like a hype which hit me, and I remember craving for biriyani back then. I used to think, oh man; who discovered this wonderful dish. But lately, I think I lost the love for biriyani, not only biriyani but sort of all Arabic food. I am not a big fan of arabic cuisine, even though the foodie in me can eat any food and respect and appreciate every cuisine; for some reason the ingredients of Arabic cuisine is not going well with my taste palette as well as tummy. But I m a big supporter of food lovers, and having the core fans of Arabic food at home, I have to prepare, but I love preparing as well. Coz for me what

Grilled Chicken in Quinoa Tortilla wrap

Healthy meal preparation is so satisfying, as we know we are feeding our loved ones with clean food. When I say clean food it does mean, non processed, with balanced nutrients, and not in expense of the taste. These healthy tortilla wraps are so yummy that you will not even imagine it has so many hidden good stuffs in it. I am like my mom, she is too smart to hide the good stuffs in whatever she prepares and we will not even know what we just ate had something which we hate if given in its form. Now I have acquired that smartness too and just few days back I prepared an Avocado Mango smoothie for one of my colleague and she told, "I hate Avocados! My mom would be surprised if she comes to know that I had Avocado. But how yummy your smoothie is ! " I was glad that I could make someone eat a healthy thing which they hated ever, and my hiding skills worked out.  The same lady was fooled by my papaya halwa, she is a papaya hater too :P Fooling people is good som

Oats chocolate chip cookies with peanuts

This is the the richest cookie I have ever made.  It is loaded with all that i love, peanuts and chocolate in whatever form it can exist. When it was baking in the oven my little cat was making a visit to the oven multiple times to check it's done. And the first bite right from oven almost burnt his mouth 😁 The outcome was so rewarding for the eyes and the taste buds. I dont think anyone can go wrong with this recipe.  So diving into the recipe, without more story telling.  Ingredients: All purpose flour/Whole wheat flour - 1 cup Oats flakes - rolled oats - 1/4 cup Cocoa powder - 1/4 cup Butter-1/4 cup Sugar brown - 1/2 cup packed Salt -1/4 tsp Baking powder- 1 tsp Egg - 1  Vanilla essence - 1 tsp Milk - 1 to 2 tbsp or to make a cookie dough  Method: Whisk together dry ingredients and keep aside  Whip butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla essence and mix. Add dry ingredients and mix gently until well combined. Add milk one tablespoon each