Skip to main content

Caramelized Sweet Potato in Strawberry preserve

Sweet potato is a long lost food of mine, one of the food I used to like growing up. In Kerala, cooking tubers is like a tradition, which I have seen in many homes. The standard evening snack in many old homes would be some form of steam boiled root vegetables. See our ancestors where even so particular about their health, and they don't want the evening snacks to be something junk, cooked in lot of oil or sweet.
I have also grown up in such a home, where every crop was available within our premises or in our crop land. I still remember people bringing crops like rice, banana, tuber stuffs, vegetables and all from my grandfather's leased crop land as a gifts. See going back to my old memories itself is making me talk like a kid :P

Now the time has changed that we are no longer relying on our crops, rather we buy everything from shops. People got lot busy with work and this fast life, and who has time for farming now! You know something, the things we wouldn't have appreciated when we had it in lavish, would be missed when you are away from that. Similar emotion is what I got when I saw sweet potato while browsing through bigbasket. I remember my old evenings as a kid, when my mom and my grandmother used to make this. That time, the only days I used to take part in this tuber tradition was when sweet potato is cooked. It is not because of the taste, but the pink skin of potato has tempted me towards it :D And even though I am not a person with sweet tooth, I enjoyed peeling of the skin myself and eating it. But my mom says now, that its just the peeling part I enjoyed, not the eating part though :D Should be right, as mom's memory about her kids can't go wrong :)

 See how far I went back to my memories and I am really thankful to sweet potato, to remind me about my worry less, happy, enjoying, pampered days :) I didn't have a second thought about it while adding it and here she is in my weekly grocery cart. But I wanted a contrast from the old way of cooking, I wanted to give my sweet potato a new attire, what if my traditional old sweet potato goes through a make over and get ready like an international cuisine. Finally decided to make it part of my weekend dessert. The make over made is so simple and easy and the outcome was awesome. Just few ingredients which I stocked over my refrigerator was of help and in the new attire she tasted awesome!

Here it goes the recipe. I want you guys to also try this out and I am sure you would enjoy too, even if you are a sweet potato hater :)


Ingredients:

Sweet potato, boiled - 2 medium
Butter - 1 tsp
Brown sugar - 1 tsp
Strawberry preserve - 2 tsp

Method:

Pressure cook sweet potatoes with water in and peel off the skin. Cut it into wedges and saute in a non stick pan, until each side is golden brown and crisp. Add to it brown sugar and cook till sides are caramelized. Add strawberry preserve and mix well until all pieces are coated with fruit preserve.

Note : You can use any fruit preserve or jam of your choice.
I pressure cooked the sweet potatoes for 5 whistles (depends on your cooker)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Egg biryani

Biriyani - The most rated and loved dish in India. Be it north or south, biriyani fan club chain is impossible to break. Now I am going to expose one secret about me and Biriyani. I know once I reveal, there would be a lot of haters for me, but this is just my personal opinion and I am all in support for all its supporters. So the thing is growing up, the name of biriyani was like a hype which hit me, and I remember craving for biriyani back then. I used to think, oh man; who discovered this wonderful dish. But lately, I think I lost the love for biriyani, not only biriyani but sort of all Arabic food. I am not a big fan of arabic cuisine, even though the foodie in me can eat any food and respect and appreciate every cuisine; for some reason the ingredients of Arabic cuisine is not going well with my taste palette as well as tummy. But I m a big supporter of food lovers, and having the core fans of Arabic food at home, I have to prepare, but I love preparing as well. Coz for me what

Grilled Chicken in Quinoa Tortilla wrap

Healthy meal preparation is so satisfying, as we know we are feeding our loved ones with clean food. When I say clean food it does mean, non processed, with balanced nutrients, and not in expense of the taste. These healthy tortilla wraps are so yummy that you will not even imagine it has so many hidden good stuffs in it. I am like my mom, she is too smart to hide the good stuffs in whatever she prepares and we will not even know what we just ate had something which we hate if given in its form. Now I have acquired that smartness too and just few days back I prepared an Avocado Mango smoothie for one of my colleague and she told, "I hate Avocados! My mom would be surprised if she comes to know that I had Avocado. But how yummy your smoothie is ! " I was glad that I could make someone eat a healthy thing which they hated ever, and my hiding skills worked out.  The same lady was fooled by my papaya halwa, she is a papaya hater too :P Fooling people is good som

Oats chocolate chip cookies with peanuts

This is the the richest cookie I have ever made.  It is loaded with all that i love, peanuts and chocolate in whatever form it can exist. When it was baking in the oven my little cat was making a visit to the oven multiple times to check it's done. And the first bite right from oven almost burnt his mouth 😁 The outcome was so rewarding for the eyes and the taste buds. I dont think anyone can go wrong with this recipe.  So diving into the recipe, without more story telling.  Ingredients: All purpose flour/Whole wheat flour - 1 cup Oats flakes - rolled oats - 1/4 cup Cocoa powder - 1/4 cup Butter-1/4 cup Sugar brown - 1/2 cup packed Salt -1/4 tsp Baking powder- 1 tsp Egg - 1  Vanilla essence - 1 tsp Milk - 1 to 2 tbsp or to make a cookie dough  Method: Whisk together dry ingredients and keep aside  Whip butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla essence and mix. Add dry ingredients and mix gently until well combined. Add milk one tablespoon each